Born: Isaac Wilson was born on 16th February 1822 in Kendal in Westmorland. His parents were Isaac Wilson, a woollen manufacturer, and Mary Jowitt.
Educated: The Wilsons were a Quaker family, so Isaac may have attended the Quaker School on Stramongate in Kendal.
Married: On 9th June 1847 Isaac Wilson married Anna Benson of Kendal, the daughter of Robert Benson and Dorothy Braithwaite.
Family: Isaac and Anna had six children: Mary, Helen, Anna, Robert, Sara and Dora.
Home: When he first came to Middlesbrough, Isaac Wilson lived in Sussex Street. In 1855 Isaac and his family moved to Nunthorpe Hall.
Known for: In 1841, Isaac Wilson moved to Middlesbrough and managed the Middlesbrough Pottery in Commercial Street. Three years later, in collaboration with Edgar Gilkes, he established the Tees Engine Works, which was also on Commercial Street. The company manufactured locomotives for the Stockton and Darlington Railway. In 1853 he became part of Gilkes, Wilson, Leatham and Company with blast furnaces at Cargo Fleet. In 1854 Wilson was made mayor of Middlesbrough. He was also the first chairman of the Middlesbrough School Board and from 1878 to 1892 he was the Liberal M.P. for Middlesbrough. As chairman of the Tees Conservancy Commissioners, he laid the foundation stone of the South Gare breakwater.
Died: Isaac Wilson died on 22nd September 1899 at Nunthorpe Hall. He was buried in the Quaker burying ground at Great Ayton.
Further Information: “Who Was Who in 19th Century Cleveland” David M.Tomlin and Mary Williams (1987)
“Pioneers of the Cleveland Iron Trade” James S. Jeans (1875)