Hutton means “settlement on the spur of land”; Old English hoh, a spur of land + ton, a settlement. Rudby possibly means “Ruthi’s settlement”; Old Norse personal name Ruthi + Old Norse by, a settlement. Hotun (1086) Rodebi (1086) Rudebi (c.1190) Hottona juxta Rodeby (1204) Latin juxta “next to”.
Based on “The Place-Names of the North Riding of Yorkshire” A.H.Smith (1928).
In about 1200, Hutton was granted to the Archbishop of Canterbury. It remained in the hands of succeeding archbishops for at least four centuries. The local lords were the Meynell family of Whorlton, followed by the Darcy family.
See “Victoria History of the Counties of England: Yorkshire North Riding” vol.2 (ed.) W.Page (1923).
An Early Mention
At the Quarter Sessions held at Helmsley in July 1610, the following ruling was made:
“Jas. Sadler of Hutton Rudby, for breaking the Constable’s head, be fyned to 2s.”
(“2s.” stands for “2 shillings”, possibly a week’s wages for a labourer in 1610).
Lay Subsidy 1301
Under the heading “Hoton juxta Rudeby” just 15 people are listed as taxpayers which is a small number considering that it covers two adjacent villages. It is possible that there was a higher proportion of poorer households than is usually found in Cleveland, perhaps amounting to a further 40 or 50 families, but that cannot be assumed with any certainty. The total tax was just over 43 shillings.
Derived from “Yorkshire Lay Subsidy” edited by W.Brown (Yorkshire Archaeological Society Record Series) 1897.
All Saints Church (14th century, restored in 1892.
Bay Horse Inn (17th century with later additions)
Bathurst Charity School (1740)
Bridge over the Leven (1755)
The old school (1836)
Leven House (mid 19th century)
Hutton House (18th century with 19th century additions)
Enterpen Hall (1870s)
Village Hall (1927)
A Few Lost Buildings
Hutton Mill ( ? ) Closed in 1908. and demolished in 1937.
Hutton sailcloth mill (Built in 1757 as a paper mill) demolished in 1937.
Primitive Methodist Chapel (1821) demolished in 1887.
Leven Grove (The old manor house of Skutterskelfe) demolished c. 1837.
Some People of Note
Mary Ward (1585-1645) She founded of the Congregation of Jesus and the Institute of the Blessed Virgin Mary. She spent some time at Hutton Rudby in her last years.
Joseph Richardson (1819-c. 1890?) A newpaper editor who was born in Hutton Rudby. In 1853 he established the Middlesbro’ Weekly News and Cleveland Advertiser. He later moved to London.
George Blair (1826-1894) An Scottish engineer who established Blair and Company, a large and successful marine engineering works at Stockton. He built Drumrauch Hall as his family home.
Robert Ropner (1838-1924) A German shipowner who began building ships at Stockton in 1888. He was Stockton’s M.P. for ten years and was knighted in 1902 and is buried in Rudby churchyard.
Judy Kitching (1948- ) The Stokesley-born fundraiser and organiser of the annual CornShed festival near Hutton Rudby, held in memory of her husband Jim. In 30 years she raised a quarter of a million pounds for local charities. She was appointed M.B.E. in 2013 in recognition of her charity work.
The Hearth Tax of 1673
For the purposes of this government tax, Hutton and Rudby were assessed separately.
In Hutton there were 47 houses with 1 or 2 hearths and 3 houses with 3 hearths. The largest houses were a 4-hearth house belonging to “Tho Appleton” and a 6-hearth house belonging to “Rt Cust”. A further 10 properties were exempt from payment, being below the tax threshold.
In Rudby there were 12 houses with 1 or 2 hearths. Only 2 houses were larger: “Jo Sayre” paid tax on a house with 3 hearths, while “Mr Jo Sayre” had a grand mansion of 13 hearths, probably at Skutterskelfe.
See “The Hearth Tax List for the North Riding of Yorkshire, Michaelmas 1673, Ripon Historical Society (2011).
White’s Directory of 1840 treated Hutton and Rudby as two distinct villages. Rudby had 2 farmers, a land-agent, a miller, a shoemaker, and a saddler. Hutton had 7 grocers, 3 butchers, 6 shoemakers, 3 tailors, 2 blacksmiths, 7 wheelwrights, 4 linen manufacturers and 2 surgeons. In addition there were 3 schools and 2 private academies as well as the Bay Horse, the George IV, the Plough, the King’s Head, the Wheat Sheaf and a beerhouse.
Kelly’s Directory of 1913 listed 6 butchers in Hutton Rudby, 3 general dealers, a grocer and a confectioner. There were 3 drapers, 3 tailors, 2 bootmakers and a dressmaker. Other trades included 2 blacksmiths, 2 carriers, 2 hucksters and a wheelwright. There was also a jeweller in the village.
A Selection of Dates
1086 According to the Domesday Book, there was already a church at Rudby before the conquest.
c.1150 The present Rudby parish church was built by the Meynell family.
c.1300 The church was rebuilt.
1615 It was reported that the bridge over the River Leven was in great decay and in need of repair.
1642-4 Mary Ward who founded the Institute of the Blessed Virgin Mary lived in Hutton Rudby.
1652 The open fields were enclosed not long before this date.
1698 A bleach works for linen was in existence at Hutton Rudby at this time.
1730 Charles Bathurst of Skutterskelfe killed his butler while drunk.
1740 The Bathurst Charity School was built next to the churchyard.
1755 The present bridge over the Leven was built.
John Wesley made his first visit to the village.
1757 John Taylor had a paper mill at Hutton.
1759 The Wesleyan Methodist chapel was dedicated.
1790 John Wesley visited Hutton Rudby for the last time.
1820 The Primitive Methodist preacher William Clowes preached on the village green. A Primitive Methodist chapel was built in the following year.
1832 There was a cholera epidemic in the village.
1834 A spinning mill for making sailcloth was constructed beside the River Leven.
1836 The village school in Enterpen was opened.
1838 Skutterskelfe Hall was built.
1844 Hutton Rudby Second XI beat Middlesbrough Second XI. This is the earliest known record of Hutton Rudby Cricket Club.
1857 Potto railway station was opened
1879 The Wesleyan Methodist chapel was built, replacing the original chapel..
The old school became Rudby County School, run by the School Board.
1887 The Primitive Methodist chapel was rebuilt. It was known as the Jubilee Chapel.
1889 Canon Atkinson of Danby excavated the Bronze Age barrow on Folly Hill.
1892 Lord and Lady Falkland opened a cottage hospital in the village, but it was short-lived.
1893 First village show.
1908 The sailcloth mill of Alan and Thomas Bowes Wilson closed.
1920 Hutton Rudby’s first village show was held. The Hutton Rudby Choral and Dramatic Society was formed.
1927 The village hall was built.
1941 A decoy airfield was laid out in a field to the west of village to confuse enemy aircraft.
1959 The Jubilee Chapel was closed.
1960 Potto railway station was closed.
1973 The road bridge over the River Leven was widened.
1975 The County School closed and a new primary school was opened.
1986 The first CornShed Charity Concert was held at Sexhow Park Farm.
1988 The last village show was held.
1992 Gas mains were laid in Hutton Rudby.
2004 The village hall was modernised.
2005 Upper rooms were built at the Methodist church.
This list of dates was compiled from the North Yorkshire History Blogspot and other secondary sources.
Suggested Further Reading
“Hutton Rudby: Industrial Village c.1700-1900”, R.P.Hastings (1979)
“Rudby-in-Cleveland: The Medieval Landscape” R.P.Hastings (1980)
“Recollections of Hutton Rudby”, Hutton Rudby and District Local History Society (1985)
“A History Walk Round Hutton Rudby”, A.Barrigan (2006)